Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Siquijor and Dumaguete. Day 4.

Well our fourth, and last full day in the Philippines was shared between the mystical island of Siquijor and the fast[er] paced island of Dumaguete. 

Now being half Filipino and from a Hawaiian background, I told the boy that it was imperative that he give me at least two uninterupted hours in the sun.  That's it, just two.  Korea's a little harsh when it comes to my tan, and I wanted to lather my body in some good ol' Vitamin D.  Lather I did.  I even rinsed and repeated. 


Uh yeah, the water was that clear.  
I also got to spend some time with some lovely pups.  They were everywhere in the Philippines, but the dogs on Siquijor were so chill and lazy.  You'd often find a pack of them lying on the beach under the shade of a palm tree.  We had a mama pup that would actually stay on our porch all day.  I might have accidentally fed her a piece of my breakfast and after that she refused to leave my side. 

We pretty much just stayed by the beach for the majority of the morning and early afternoon.  We had been awaiting the arrival of our good friend and fellow travel buddy, Ryan Sheldon.  He found himself stuck on Dumaguete after the ferries closed down for Christmas.  Being the devoted wanderer that he is, he lept on an early boat to Siquijor on the 26th and spent a good 5 hours with us.  We were able to go for a little dip, eat at a local hot spot, and take a tricycle back to the dock in order to catch the last ferry back to Dumaguete at 4:30.  


Once we arrived in Dumaguete we found ourselves surrounded by other foreigners.  It was a little bizarre since we hadn't really seen any since we landed in Manila.  Dumaguete was bustling with tricycles, pedestrians, street food, loud music and laughter.  We immediately found ourselves a room for the night and then took to the streets.  We wandered up and down the boardwalk taking in the sights and indulging in delicious treats along the way.  I might have had a rum and coke or two.  They were extra special because they came with real limes.  LIMES.  A fruit that I have yet to see in Korea.  

Chris and Ryan decided to really immerse themselves in Filipino culture by ordering "balut" from a local street vendor.  Some of you already know what it is, but for those of you that don't- Balut is a boiled fertilized egg.  Fertilized enough that you can clearly make out a baby chick inside.  This nearly-developed embryo sits is a soupy liquid that one is supposed to drink before eating the contents of the egg.   nom nom not.  I thought I might be able to coax myself into at least trying it, but as soon as I saw the little baby chick and Chris's uneasy face, I said no way jose.   You can actually hear me on the video say, "Ohhh yeah.  That's probably not going to happen".



We ended the night people watching with drinks in hand.  Not a bad way to spend our last night in the Philippines.  Below is a video that the boy made for tripfilms.com.  It has a little of the Dumaguete nightlife and the end is dedicated to his balut experience.  Doesn't his face just make you want to go out an buy yourself a dozen?


Watch more travel videos at tripfilms.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...