Monday, December 13, 2010

So this is random...

but I kind of really enjoy dollhouses.  You know, dollhouses.  Houses. For dolls.

Like these ones...

I love love LOVE the ones that are completely furnished and that look like the family living in them is just out on vacation, running errands, or what not.  I don't actually like dolls inside of dollhouses.  Dolls are just scary and they kind of make me want to vomit.  literally.  Fun fact about Tawny is that she can't eat in front of plastic dolls.  Seriously.  I don't know why, but I have a gag reflex if I eat anything in front of a plastic doll.  It was so bad that when I had to take home my simulation baby for my Child Psychology class I had to put a blanket over its face while I ate my dinner. 

Um, yeah.  So that may be a little creepy and/or strange.  But anyway, I've had this fascination with dollhouses since I was a little girl.  I can't for the life of me remember where exactly I was, but when I was about 7 years old I came across one of the most stunning dollhouses I had ever seen.  It was so delicately and intricately furnished that I remember standing and staring at it for hours.  (well, maybe not hours as I'm pretty sure if was in some kind of craft store in Colorado- but you know what I mean.)

Lucky for me, my dear grandpa Barut had started a little tradition with all of his granddaughters.  At some point he decided to build each granddaughter their very own dollhouse.  Unfortunately for me, being the first grandchild of the family, this tradition didn't exactly start until I was much too old for a child's dollhouse.  I never actually said anything about how much I really wanted one until one day I kind of slipped and told my mom how much I had always dreamed of having one.  Well someone must have told grandpa because on Christmas day my senior year of high school I opened a big box sent all the way from Hawaii.  This is what I found inside...

Isn't she purdy?  Yeah.  I like her.  A lot. I was so excited to have my very own dollhouse that they very next day I ran out to our local craft store and bought a small kitchen set to put inside her.  And you know what?  I haven't bought anything since.

I feel horrible.  Did you know that dollhouse furniture can be a little pricey?  It's not only that I couldn't afford anything at the time, but it was my senior year of high school and months after receiving my dollhouse I moved to college.  My poor little house has only had a refrigerator and kitchen table in it for the last 6 years.   Well that's all about to change.  Because damn it, I may be a 25 year old woman, but I love dollhouses.  I can actually afford to buy things for my dollhouse.  I've decided to start collecting little things here and there and have them sent to my parents house so that when I return home (whenever that may be), I can start furnishing my little beauty.  I don't even feel guilty about being a grown woman with a dollhouse because Lord knows when I'm actually going to have a house of my own to decorate. 

So yes, if any of you are still reading this ridiculously random post (I doubt that any of you are), I'd like to share a few of the things that are on my dollhouse wish list.

Well, there you have it.  My new found fascination with dollhouses.  Judge all you want but you best believe my dollhouse will have a figurine of Ares kitten in it. I'll have to paint one of the eyes a greenish brown so it looks even more like him.  :)

Cheers,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...